2019年7月26日星期五

Discovering Purpose on a Farm in South Africa

Nomadic backpacker out exploring the world
Every month, Kristin Addis from Be My Travel Muse writes a guest column featuring tips and advice on solo female travel. It’s a topic I can’t cover well, so I brought in an expert to share her advice. In this column, Kristin shares one of her most rewarding travel experiences, and how it sparked her interest in sustainable tourism.

After a day of herding cattle in the South African bush, I collapsed on the couch in the farm cottage. I’d just snake-crawled under electric fences, body to ground so close I left an impression in the earth; jumped over streams; and tip-toed through marshes as I herded the cattle. They mooed, carefree, and looked at me suspiciously as I moved closer, a branch in both hands, trying to convince them I was a fence.

Three weeks earlier, I’d flown to Johannesburg with nothing but a carry-on backpack and with no idea of what to do with the two months ahead of me.

Now, after a series of chance meetings with other travelers and locals who all pointed me in the direction of Karoo, I was on The Rest Farm in the middle of the South African bush.

Nomadic backpacker out exploring the South Africa

The farm is in the middle of the Karoo, an arid, rocky, mostly treeless area located in the middle of South Africa. Primarily visited by locals, it’s an overnight stop when driving from Johannesburg to Cape Town.

Appearing to be a harsh, rugged environment where only the strongest survive, the Karoo is a desert. It’s full of snakes and massive quadrupeds that call it home. Its orange canyons and lack of development make it a thing of beauty.

Cows on a farm in South Africa

At many places on the farm, one can look in every direction and see nothing but sloping, flat-topped mountains rising out of the valleys, the occasional curly-horned and hoofed kudu, a zebra or two, and not much of anything else. No fellow man and no structure disrupts the view.

The farm was taken over by Paula and E after Paula’s parents became too old to look after it. It has since turned into a budding guesthouse, an adventure destination, and an option for those looking for a work exchange type of holiday. People from all over the world find it via workaway.info or, like me, via word of mouth.

During the day, I ate meals with the family, went for sunrise hikes, and wandered around the property’s rock labyrinths and zorse (zebra + horse) stables. Having grown up in urban California, I felt like a farm girl for the first time in my life.

Tall rock formations in South Africa landscape

We cooked together, drank wine, and talked philosophy. I joined the family at the local tennis club for braais (BBQs), contributed ideas for their website to promote their retreat business, and helped build a hut out of mud and other materials.

While herding cattle on the farm and helping to build what will soon be a place for spiritual workshops, I realized what I want most of life is to make a positive impact on the communities I visit. I’ve resolved to vote with my tourism dollars more and involve myself more in sustainable tourism. I want to find more ways to give back to the communities and destinations I visit.

Hills and mountains makes South Africa's terrain perfect for nomads

I arrived in South Africa with no idea of what lay ahead of me. Through chance, I ended up off the beaten path, meeting amazing people, getting to know local farm life, and leaving it a better place.

This is where my travels will go. Opportunities like this create a better, richer travel experience that foster the kind of cultural exchange I wanted before I went overseas.

This is why going with the flow is so important. Let the road unfold naturally.

Because, one day, you are staring out at the African bush finally realizing what you really want out of life.

Kristin Addis is a solo female travel expert who inspires women to travel the world in an authentic and adventurous way. A former investment banker who sold all of her belongings and left California in 2012, Kristin has solo traveled the world for over four years, covering every continent (except for Antarctica, but it’s on her list). There’s almost nothing she won’t try and almost nowhere she won’t explore. You can find more of her musings at Be My Travel Muse or on Instagram and Facebook.

Conquering Mountains: The Guide to Solo Female Travel

conquering mountains: solo female travel by kristin addisFor a complete A-to-Z guide on solo female travel, check out Kristin’s new book, Conquering Mountains. Besides discussing many of the practical tips of preparing and planning your trip, the book addresses the fears, safety, and emotional concerns women have about traveling alone. It features over 20 interviews with other female travel writers and travelers. Click here to learn more about the book, how it can help you, and you can start reading it today!

没有评论:

发表评论